- A food or drug that stimulates evacuation of the bowels.
- Stimulating evacuation of the bowels.
- Causing looseness or relaxation, especially of the bowels.
- Loose; soft; easy.
- In <em>medicine</em>, having the power or quality of relieving from constipation by relaxing or opening the intestines. Compare <internalXref urlencoded="cathartic">cathartic</internalXref>, 1.
- A medicine that relieves from costiveness by relaxing the intestines; a gentle purgative.
- Having a tendency to loosen or relax.
- Having the effect of loosening or opening the intestines, and relieving from constipation; -- opposed to <contr>astringent</contr>.
- Having the effect of moving the <xref>bowels</xref>, or aiding <xref>digestion</xref> and preventing <xref>constipation</xref>.
- Any substance, such as a food or in the form of a medicine which has a laxative effect.
- a mild cathartic
- stimulating evacuation of feces