- An early sign of tetanus, in which there is difficulty opening the jaw because of a tonic spasm of the muscles of mastication.
- In <em>pathology</em>, tetanus; trismus. See <internalXref urlencoded="tetanus">tetanus</internalXref>.
- A contraction of the muscles of the jaw by which its motion is suspended; a variety of tetanus; trismus.
- A spasmodic, nervous system disease brought on by the tetanus bacteria. It causes muscles to seize up and may cause death by suffocation.
- an acute and serious infection of the central nervous system caused by bacterial infection of open wounds; spasms of the jaw and laryngeal muscles may occur during the late stages