- A king or prince in India ranking above a raja, especially the sovereign of one of the former native states.
- Used as a title for such a king or prince.
- The title borne by some Indian princes whose sovereignty is extensive.
- A sovereign prince in India; a Hindu prince or king in India ranking above a raja; -- a title given also to other persons of high rank.
- A <xref>Hindu</xref> <xref>prince</xref> ranking above a <xref>raja</xref>.
- a great raja; a Hindu prince or king in India ranking above a raja