- A large letter, either capital or uncial, used in writing or printing.
- In <em>paleography</em>, a capital or uncial letter: opposed to <em>minuscule.</em>
- A capital letter; especially, one used in ancient manuscripts. See <xref urlencoded="majuscul%C3%A6">majusculæ</xref>.
- writing composed wholly of capital letters, especially the style which prevailed in Europe from the third to the sixth century.
- A <xref>capital letter</xref>, especially one used in ancient <xref>manuscripts</xref>.
- of or relating to a style of writing characterized by somewhat rounded capital letters; 4th to 8th centuries
- one of the large alphabetic characters used as the first letter in writing or printing proper names and sometimes for emphasis