- A disease caused by decreased activity of the thyroid gland in adults and characterized by dry skin, swellings around the lips and nose, mental deterioration, and a subnormal basal metabolic rate.
- A disease having the following characters:
- It has been found that this affection is usually entirely amenable to treatment by extracts and other preparations made from the thyroid gland (throat-sweetbread) of the sheep. The same treatment is often of great value in cretinism, which is regarded as a congenital form of myxedema. The use of preparations of the thyroid gland to supply a deficiency of the secretion of this gland, which is the underlying defect in myxedema and cretinism, affords one of the most brilliant examples of successful organotherapy.
- A pathological condition due to severe hyperthyroidism, marked by dry skin and swellings around lips and nose as well as mental and physical deterioration.
- A disease producing a peculiar cretinoid appearance of the face, slow speech, and dullness of intellect, and due to failure of the functions of the thyroid gland.
- A form of <xref>cutaneous</xref> and <xref>dermal</xref> <xref>edema</xref> that is secondary to increased <xref>deposition</xref> of <xref>connective tissue</xref> components in <xref>subcutaneous</xref> tissue.
- hypothyroidism marked by dry skin and swellings around lips and nose as well as mental deterioration