- One who refuses to take an oath, as of allegiance.
- A beneficed Anglican clergyman who refused to swear allegiance to William and Mary and their successors after the Glorious Revolution of 1688.
- In <em>English history</em>, one who refuses to swear allegiance to the sovereign: specifically, one of those clergymen of the Church of England who in 1689 refused to swear allegiance to William, Prince of Orange, and the Princess Mary, as king and queen of England, holding that they were still bound by the former oath to King James II., his heirs and successors.
- One of those adherents of James II. who refused to take the oath of allegiance to William and Mary, or to their successors, after the revolution of 1688; a Jacobite.
- One who is not a <xref>juror</xref>.
- One who refused to swear a particular <xref>oath</xref>.