- The tongue of an ox.
- One of several plants with rough tongue-shaped leaves, especially <em>Picris</em> (<em>Helminthia</em>) <em>echioides</em>, and the alkanet, <em>Anchusa officinalis.</em> Compare <internalXref urlencoded="bugloss">bugloss</internalXref>.
- A name sometimes given to the anlace, braquemart, and similar short broadswords.
- A widespread European weed (<spn>Picris echioides</spn> formerly <spn>Helminthia echioides</spn>) with spiny tongue-shaped leaves and yellow flowers. The name is applied to several plants, from the shape and roughness of their leaves; as, <spn>Anchusa officinalis</spn>, a kind of bugloss, and <spn>Helminthia echioides</spn>, both European herbs. It has been naturalized in the U. S.
- <xref>Beef</xref> <xref>tongue</xref> (a foodstuff).
- A <xref>flowering plant</xref> of the <xref>genus</xref> Picris, especially Picris echioides, the bristly oxtongue.
- widespread European weed with spiny tongue-shaped leaves and yellow flowers; naturalized in United States