- To subject (a person) to a penalty, especially for infringement of a law or regulation. <i>synonym</i>: <strong> punish</strong>.
- To make (an action or a condition) liable to a penalty.
- To impose a handicap on; place at a disadvantage.
- To lay under a penalty, in ease of violation, falsification, or the like: said of regulations, statements, etc.; subject, expose, or render liable to a penalty: said of persons. Also spelled <internalXref urlencoded="penalise">penalise</internalXref>.
- To affix what amounts to a penalty to some act that is not in itself a penal offense; to subject to a disadvantage; handicap.
- To make penal.
- To put a penalty on. See <er>Penalty</er>, 3.
- To <xref>subject</xref> to a <xref>penalty</xref>, especially for the <xref>infringement</xref> of a <xref>rule</xref> or <xref>regulation</xref>.
- To <xref>impose</xref> a <xref>handicap</xref> on.
- impose a penalty on; inflict punishment on