- A bird in Egyptian mythology that lived in the desert for 500 years and then consumed itself by fire, later to rise renewed from its ashes.
- A person or thing of unsurpassed excellence or beauty; a paragon.
- A constellation in the Southern Hemisphere near Tucana and Sculptor.
- A <xref>mythological</xref> <xref>bird</xref>, said to be the only one of its kind, which lives for 500 years and then dies by burning to <xref>ashes</xref> on a <xref>pyre</xref> of its own making, <xref>ignited</xref> by the sun. It then arises anew from the ashes.
- Anything that is reborn after apparently being destroyed. Usually used as a <xref>simile</xref>.