- To induce polarization in or impart polarity to.
- To design so as to permit light only of a certain polarization.
- To cause to divide into two conflicting or opposing groups.
- To acquire polarity.
- To cause polarization of light or permit light of a certain polarization.
- To become divided into two conflicting or opposing groups.
- To develop polarization in, as in a ray of light which is acted upon by certain media and surfaces; give polarity to. See <internalXref urlencoded="polarization">polarization</internalXref>.
- In <em>electricity</em>, to coat with a film of gas, as the negative plate in a voltaic cell. Also spelled <internalXref urlencoded="polarise">polarise</internalXref>.
- In <em>electricity</em>, to fall off in electromotive force, as a voltaic cell, by the liberation of hydrogen at the positive terminal.
- To communicate polarity to.
- To cause to have a <xref>polarization</xref>.
- To cause a group to be divided into extremes.
- become polarized in a conflict or contrasting situation
- cause to vibrate in a definite pattern
- cause to concentrate about two conflicting or contrasting positions