- Clearance granted to a ship to proceed into port after compliance with health regulations or quarantine.
- In <em>com.</em>, intercourse; the communication between a ship and the port in which she arrives; hence, a license or permission to hold intercourse and trade with the inhabitants of a place, especially after quarantine, or certificate of non-infectiveness.
- Experience; practice.
- Primarily, liberty of converse; intercourse; hence, a certificate, given after compliance with quarantine regulations, permitting a ship to land passengers and crew; -- a term used particularly in the south of Europe.
- Practice; habits.
- Permission to use a port given to a ship after compliance with a quarantine or on conviction that she is free of contagious disease.
- <xref>practice</xref>; <xref>habits</xref>