- A reason or excuse given to hide the real reason for something.
- To use as a pretext, or cloak or covering; assume as a means of concealment.
- That which is assumed as a cloak or means of concealment; something under cover of which a true purpose is hidden; an ostensible reason, motive, or occasion; a pretense.
- <strong>Synonyms</strong> <em>Pretension</em>, etc. See <internalXref urlencoded="pretense">pretense</internalXref>.
- Ostensible reason or motive assigned or assumed as a color or cover for the real reason or motive; pretense; disguise.
- A <xref>false</xref>, <xref>contrived</xref> or <xref>assumed</xref> <xref>purpose</xref>; a <xref>pretense</xref>.
- To employ a pretext, which involves using a <xref>false</xref> or <xref>contrived</xref> purpose for soliciting the gain of something else.
- an artful or simulated semblance
- something serving to conceal plans; a fictitious reason that is concocted in order to conceal the real reason