- One that qualifies, especially one that has or fulfills all appropriate qualifications, as for a position, office, or task.
- A word or phrase that qualifies, limits, or modifies the meaning of another word or phrase.
- One who or that which qualifies; that which modifies, reduces, tempers, or restrains; specifically, in <em>grammar</em>, a word that qualifies another, as an adjective a noun, or an adverb a verb, etc.
- One who, or that which, qualifies; that which modifies, reduces, tempers or restrains.
- One who qualifies for something, especially a <xref>contestant</xref> who <xref>qualifies</xref> for a stage in a <xref>competition</xref>.
- A <xref>preliminary</xref> stage of a <xref>competition</xref>.
- A <xref>word</xref> or <xref>phrase</xref>, such as an <xref>adjective</xref> or <xref>adverb</xref>, that describes or characterizes another word or phrase, such as a <xref>noun</xref> or <xref>verb</xref>; a <xref>modifier</xref>; that adds or subtracts <xref>attributes</xref> to another.
- A <xref>marker</xref> that <xref>qualifies</xref> or modifies another <xref>code</xref> <xref>element</xref>.
- a content word that qualifies the meaning of a noun or verb
- a contestant who meets certain requirements and so qualifies to take part in the next stage of competition