- The act of extinguishing; also, the state of being extinguished.
- In <em>metallurgy</em>, a method of producing a hard crust on molten metal for convenience in removing it in small plates or disks, called sometimes <internalXref urlencoded="rosettes">rosettes</internalXref>, instead of allowing it to solidify in one mass. See <internalXref urlencoded="rosette">rosette</internalXref>.
- The <xref>extinction</xref> of any of several <xref>physical</xref> properties.
- The rapid <xref>cooling</xref> of a hot <xref>metal</xref> object, by placing it in a <xref>liquid</xref>, in order to <xref>harden</xref> it.
- Present participle of <xref>quench</xref>.
- the act of extinguishing; causing to stop burning