- The state of being quick or alive; vital power or principle.
- Speed; velocity; celerity; rapidity: as, the <em>quickness</em> of motion.
- Activity; briskness; promptness; readiness: as, the <em>quickness</em> of the imagination or wit.
- Acuteness; keenness; alertness.
- Sharpness; pungency; keenness.
- <strong>Synonyms</strong> <em>Quickness, Fastness, Speed, Celerity, Swiftness, Fleetness, Rapidity, Velocity</em>, haste, expedition, despatch, alertness, liveliness. <em>Quickness</em> is the generic term. <em>Quickness, fastness, speed</em>, and <em>rapidity</em> may have relation to time only, or to space passed through or over; the others apply only to space. “<em>Swift</em> to hear,” in Jas. i. 19, is a bold figure. <em>Celerity</em> is swift voluntary movement; but we do not ordinarily speak of the movements of an animal as having <em>celerity. Fleetness</em> also is voluntary, and is applied to animals; we may speak by figure of the <em>fleetness</em> of a yacht. The word suggests quickness in getting over the ground by the use of the feet: we speak of the <em>swiftness</em> or <em>rapidity</em> of the swallow's or the pigeon's flight; the <em>fleetness</em> of Atalanta, a hound, a deer. <em>Swiftness</em> is presumably not too great for carefulness or thoroughness; <em>rapidity</em> may be too great for either. <em>Velocity</em> is the attribute of matter in motion; the word is especially a technical term for the rate of movement of matter, whether fast or slow. We speak also of the <em>velocity</em> of sound or light. <em>Rapidity</em> has less suggestion of personality than any of the others, except <em>velocity.</em> See <internalXref urlencoded="nimble">nimble</internalXref>.
- Dexterity, adroitness, expertness, facility, knack.
- The condition or quality of being quick or living; life.
- Activity; briskness; especially, rapidity of motion; speed; celerity.
- Acuteness of perception; keen sensibility.
- Sharpness; pungency of taste.
- <xref>rapidity</xref> of <xref>movement</xref> or <xref>activity</xref>; <xref>agility</xref> or <xref>dexterity</xref>
- intelligence as revealed by an ability to give correct responses without delay
- skillful performance or ability without difficulty
- a rate that is rapid