- The real nature of a thing; the essence.
- A hairsplitting distinction; a quibble.
- In <em>scholastic philos.</em>, that which distinguishes a thing from other things, and makes it what it is, and not another; substantial form; nature.
- A trifling nicety; a cavil; a quirk or quibble.
- The essence, nature, or distinctive peculiarity, of a thing; that which answers the question, <ex>Quid est</ex>? or, What is it?
- A trifling nicety; a cavil; a quibble.
- The essence or inherent nature of a person or thing.
- A trifle; a <xref>nicety</xref> or <xref>quibble</xref>
- An eccentricity; an odd feature
- an evasion of the point of an argument by raising irrelevant distinctions or objections
- the essence that makes something the kind of thing it is and makes it different from any other