- The state or quality of being quiescent or inactive; rest; repose; inactivity; the state of a thing without motion or agitation: as, the <em>quiescence</em> of a volcano.
- In <em>philology</em>, silence; the condition of not being heard in pronunciation: as, the <em>quiescence</em> of a letter.
- In <em>biology</em>, quietude or inactivity; a state of animal life approaching torpidity, but in which the animal is capable of some motion, and may receive food: it is observed among insects during either hibernation or pupation, and in many other animals both higher and lower in the scale than these.
- The state or quality of being quiescent.
- The state of being <xref>quiescent</xref>; <xref>dormancy</xref>.
- Being at rest, quiet, still, inactive or motionless.
- The <xref>action</xref> of bringing something to <xref>rest</xref> or making it quiescent; the action of coming to rest or to a quiescent state.
- When a <xref>cell</xref> is in a term of no growth and no division.
- a state of quiet (but possibly temporary) inaction
- quiet and inactive restfulness