- Something that serves to suppress, check, or eliminate.
- Release from life; death.
- A final discharge, as of a duty or debt.
- A final discharge of an account; a final settlement; a quittance.
- Hence A finishing or ending in general; stoppage.
- A severe blow; a “settler.”
- Final discharge or acquittance, as from debt or obligation; that which silences claims; (Fig.) rest; death.
- A stillness or pause; something that quiets or represses; removal from activity; especially: death.
- Final settlement (as of a debt).
- euphemisms for death (based on an analogy between lying in a bed and in a tomb)