- Acute inflammation of the tonsils and the surrounding tissue, often leading to the formation of an abscess.
- Tonsillitis; specifically, a deep suppurative tonsillitis.
- An inflammation of the throat, or parts adjacent, especially of the fauces or tonsils, attended by considerable swelling, painful and impeded deglutition, and accompanied by inflammatory fever. It sometimes creates danger of suffocation; -- called also <altname>squinancy</altname>, and <altname>squinzey</altname>.
- A painful <xref>pus</xref>-filled inflammation or <xref>abscess</xref> of the <xref>tonsils</xref> and surrounding tissues, usually a complication of <xref>tonsillitis</xref>, caused by bacterial infection and often accompanied by fever.
- a painful pus filled inflammation of the tonsils and surrounding tissues; usually a complication of tonsillitis