- A theological or philosophical issue presented for formal argument or disputation.
- Formal disputation of such an issue.
- A usually humorous medley.
- A scholastic argumentation upon a subject chosen at will, but almost always theological.
- In <em>music</em>: A fantasia or potpourri.
- A fanciful or humorous harmonic combination of two or more well-known melodies: sometimes equivalent to a <em>Dutch concert.</em>
- A nice point; a subtilty; a debatable point.
- A medley improvised by several performers.
- A form of music with melodies in counterpoint.
- A mode of philosophical debate popular in the <xref>Middle Ages</xref>, in which any question could be posed <xref>extemporaneously</xref>.
- an issue that is presented for formal disputation