- A root or point of origin.
- The base of a system of numbers, such as 2 in the binary system and 10 in the decimal system.
- In <em>astrology</em>, the original figure of birth, the source of all judgments and predictions.
- The root of a plant: used chiefly with reference to the roots of medicinal plants or preparations from them.
- Hence The primary source or origin; that from which anything springs, or in which it originates.
- In <em>etymology</em>, a. primitive word or form from which spring other words; a radical; a root.
- In <em>mathematics</em>, a root.
- In <em>zoöl</em>, and <em>anatomy</em>, a root; a rooted or rootlike part; a radicle: as, the <em>radix</em> or root of a tooth; the <em>radix</em> of a nerve.
- A primitive word, from which spring other words; a radical; a root; an etymon.
- A number or quantity which is arbitrarily made the fundamental number of any system; a base. .
- A finite expression, from which a series is derived.
- The root of a plant.
- A primitive word, from which other words spring.
- A <xref>root</xref>
- The number of <xref>distinct</xref> symbols used to represent numbers in a particular <xref>base</xref>, as 10 for <xref>decimal</xref>.
- (numeration system) the positive integer that is equivalent to one in the next higher counting place