- To cut down or reduce to a lower class, as a ship; hence, to lessen or abridge by cutting out parts: as, to <internalXref urlencoded="razee">razee</internalXref> a book or an article.
- A ship of war cut down to a smaller size by reducing the number of decks.
- To cut down to a less number of decks, and thus to an inferior rate or class, as a ship; hence, to prune or abridge by cutting off or retrenching parts.
- An armed ship having her upper deck cut away, and thus reduced to the next inferior rate, as a seventy-four cut down to a frigate.
- An <xref>armed</xref> <xref>ship</xref> with its <xref>upper</xref> <xref>deck</xref> cut away, and thus reduced to the next inferior rate, such as a <xref>seventy-four</xref> cut down to a <xref>frigate</xref>.
- To cut (a ship) down to a smaller number of decks, and thus to an inferior rate or class.
- To <xref>trim</xref> or <xref>abridge</xref> by cutting off parts.