- A small mark or sketch engraved in the margin of a plate to indicate its stage of development prior to completion.
- A print or proof from a plate carrying such a mark.
- See <internalXref urlencoded="remark">remark</internalXref>, 4.
- A small design etched on the margin of a plate and supposed to be removed after the earliest proofs have been taken; also, any feature distinguishing a particular stage of the plate.
- A print or proof so distinguished; -- commonly called a <altname>Remarque proof</altname>.