- A horizontal, usually underground stem that often sends out roots and shoots from its nodes.
- In <em>botany</em>, a stem of root-like appearance, horizontal or oblique in position, lying on the ground or subterranean, bearing scales instead of leaves, and usually producing from its apex a leafy shoot or scape.
- A rootstock. See <xref urlencoded="rootstock">rootstock</xref>.
- A <xref>horizontal</xref> <xref>underground</xref> <xref>stem</xref> of some <xref>plants</xref> that sends out <xref>roots</xref> and <xref>shoots</xref> from its <xref>nodes</xref>.
- A so-called "image of thought" that <xref>apprehends</xref> <xref>multiplicities</xref>. See Rhizome (philosophy).
- a horizontal plant stem with shoots above and roots below serving as a reproductive structure