- To make sanitary, as by cleaning or disinfecting.
- To make more acceptable by removing unpleasant or offensive features from.
- to partially <xref>free</xref> something of <xref>microorganisms</xref> by <xref>cleaning</xref> or <xref>disinfecting</xref>
- (by extension) to make something, such as a <xref>dramatic</xref> work, more <xref>acceptable</xref> by removing <xref>potentially</xref> <xref>offensive</xref> material
- (<xref>computing</xref>) to remove <xref>sensitive</xref> or <xref>personal</xref> <xref>data</xref> from a <xref>database</xref> or <xref>file</xref> before giving the <xref>public</xref> <xref>access</xref> to it
- to <xref>revise</xref> a <xref>document</xref> in order to prevent <xref>identification</xref> of the <xref>sources</xref>
- make less offensive or more acceptable by removing objectionable features
- make sanitary by cleaning or sterilizing