- An employee or officer of a church who is responsible for the care and upkeep of church property and sometimes for ringing bells and digging graves.
- An under-officer of a church, whose duty it is to act as janitor, and who has charge of the edifice, utensils, furniture, etc.
- In <em>entomology</em>, a sexton-beetle; a burying-beetle; any member of the genus <em>Necrophorus.</em> See also cut under <internalXref urlencoded="Necrophorus">Necrophorus</internalXref>.
- An under officer of a church, whose business is to take care of the church building and the vessels, vestments, etc., belonging to the church, to attend on the officiating clergyman, and to perform other duties pertaining to the church, such as to dig graves, ring the bell, etc.
- a burying beetle.
- A church official who looks after a <xref>church</xref> and its <xref>graveyard</xref> and may act as a <xref>gravedigger</xref> and <xref>bell-ringer</xref>.
- an officer of the church who is in charge of sacred objects
- United States poet (1928-1974)