- A small, often decorated box with a hinged lid, used for carrying snuff.
- A box for holding snuff, especially one small enough to be carried in the pocket. When it was customary to take snuff, as in the eighteenth century, a snuff-box was a common present, whether of good will or ceremony. On this account, and for personal display, these boxes were often made of the most costly materials, highly finished portraits were set in their lids, and settings of diamonds or pearls were not unknown. See also cut under <internalXref urlencoded="niello">niello</internalXref>.
- A puffball: same as <internalXref urlencoded="devil%27s%20snuff-box">devil's snuff-box</internalXref> (which see, under <internalXref urlencoded="devil">devil</internalXref>). See also <internalXref urlencoded="Lycoperdon">Lycoperdon</internalXref>.
- A small box for carrying snuff about the person.
- A small <xref>box</xref> or <xref>container</xref> to hold <xref>snuff</xref> or loose <xref>tobacco</xref>.
- a small ornamental box for carrying snuff in your pocket