- A nation that controls another nation in international affairs but allows it domestic sovereignty.
- A feudal lord to whom fealty was due.
- A feudal lord or baron; a lord paramount. Also used attributively.
- A superior lord, to whom fealty is due; a feudal lord; a lord paramount.
- A <xref>dominant</xref> <xref>nation</xref> or <xref>state</xref> which has control over the <xref>international</xref> <xref>affairs</xref> of a <xref>subservient</xref> state which has <xref>domestic</xref> <xref>autonomy</xref>.
- A <xref>feudal</xref> land-owner to whom <xref>peasants</xref> were forced to <xref>pledge</xref> <xref>allegiance</xref>.
- Pertaining to suzerain
- a state exercising a degree of dominion over a dependent state especially in its foreign affairs