- An automobile that carries passengers for a fare, usually calculated by a taximeter.
- A public ‘cab’ or carriage which carries a fare-indicator. See <internalXref urlencoded="taximeter">taximeter</internalXref>.
- an automobile with a professional driver which can be hired to carry passengers; -- also called a <altname>taxi</altname>, and informally called a <altname>cab</altname> or a <altname>hack</altname>. The driver of a taxicab is referred to as a <xref urlencoded="cab%20driver">cab driver</xref> or <xref urlencoded="cabbie">cabbie</xref>, and sometimes as a <xref urlencoded="chauffeur">chauffeur</xref> or <xref urlencoded="hackie">hackie</xref>.
- a <xref>vehicle</xref> that <xref>passengers</xref> <xref>hire</xref> to take them between <xref>locations</xref> of their choice, the <xref>fare</xref> being calculated with a <xref>taximeter</xref>; a <xref>taxi</xref> or <xref>cab</xref>
- a car driven by a person whose job is to take passengers where they want to go in exchange for money