- A book used in schools or colleges for the formal study of a subject.
- Being a characteristic example of its kind; classic.
- A <xref>coursebook</xref>, a formal <xref>manual</xref> of <xref>instruction</xref> in a specific subject, especially one for use in schools or colleges.
- Of or pertaining to textbooks or their style, especially in being <xref>dry</xref> and <xref>pedagogical</xref>; <xref>textbooky</xref>, <xref>textbooklike</xref>.
- Having the typical characteristics of some class of phenomenon, so that it might be included as an <xref>example</xref> in a textbook.