- To defeat or conquer in battle; subjugate.
- To defeat in a contest, conflict, or competition. <i>synonym</i>: <strong> defeat</strong>.
- To overcome or subdue (an emotion, for example); suppress.
- A disease of sheep in which they pine away. Also <internalXref urlencoded="vinquish">vinquish</internalXref>.
- To conquer; overcome; especially, to subdue in battle, as an enemy.
- To defeat in any contest, as in argument; get the better of.
- To confute; show to be erroneous or unfounded; overturn.
- To overpower; prostrate; be too much for.
- To overpower the peculiar virtue or properties of; destroy or render inert; neutralize.
- = Syn. 1. <em>Overcome, Subdue</em>, etc. (see <internalXref urlencoded="conquer">conquer</internalXref>), surmount, overthrow; rout, crush.
- A disease in sheep, in which they pine away.
- To conquer, overcome, or subdue in battle, as an enemy.
- Hence, to defeat in any contest; to get the better of; to put down; to refute.
- To <xref>defeat</xref>, to <xref>overcome</xref>.
- come out better in a competition, race, or conflict