- Any of various one-celled flagellate freshwater green algae of the genus <em>Volvox</em> that form hollow mucilaginous spherical colonies of several hundred cells.
- A small genus of fresh-water algæ, of the order <em>Volrocineæ</em> and class <em>Cœnobieæ.</em>
- [<em>lowercase</em>] A member of the above genus: as, the globate <em>volvox.</em>
- A genus of minute, pale-green, globular, organisms, about one fiftieth of an inch in diameter, found rolling through water, the motion being produced by minute colorless cilia. It has been considered as belonging to the flagellate Infusoria, but is now referred to the vegetable kingdom, and each globule is considered a colony of many individuals. The commonest species is <spn>Volvox globator</spn>, often called <stype>globe animalcule</stype>.
- Any of the <xref>genus</xref> <xref>Volvox</xref> of <xref>chlorophytes</xref>.
- type genus of the Volvocaceae; minute pale green flagellates occurring in tiny spherical colonies; minute flagella rotate the colony about an axis