- Any of six toxic isomeric anilines, C<sub>8</sub>H<sub>11</sub>N, derived from xylene, used chiefly as dye intermediates.
- Any of various mixtures of xylidine isomers.
- Same as <internalXref urlencoded="xyloidine">xyloidine</internalXref>.
- In <em>chem.</em>, an amine derivative from the hydrocarbon xylene, itself obtained from coal-tar. The general formula for xylidine is C<sub>6</sub>H<sub>3</sub>(CH<sub>3</sub>)<sub>2</sub>NH<sub>2</sub>, but there are six isomeric forms, of which two form the greater part of the oily liquid industrially known under this name and used in the manufacture of artificial dyestuffs.
- Any one of six metameric hydrocarbons, (CH3)2.C6H3.NH2, resembling aniline, and related to xylene. They are liquids, or easily fusible crystalline substances, of which three are derived from metaxylene, two from orthoxylene, and one from paraxylene. They are called the <ex>amido xylenes</ex>.
- Any of six <xref>isomeric</xref> <xref>aromatic</xref> <xref>amines</xref> (CH3)2C6H3NH2 derived from the <xref>xylenes</xref>