- An official in precolonial India assigned to collect the land taxes of his district.
- A landholder in British colonial India responsible for collecting and paying to the government the taxes on the land under his jurisdiction.
- Same as <internalXref urlencoded="zemindar">zemindar</internalXref>.
- A landowner; also, a collector of land revenue; now, usually, a kind of feudatory recognized as an actual proprietor so long as he pays to the government a certain fixed revenue.
- a <xref>landowner</xref>, especially on the Indian subcontinent, one paying tax directly to the British government
- an official tax-collector